Any event can be successful and sustainable. This downloadable brochure offers ideas to help you get started, taking you step-by-step through the planning process. Even if you only implement a few, you will make a difference!
A sustainable event conserves and restores resources, honors and supports those involved, adds value to the local economy, and educates participants about the benefits of sustainability. All it takes is vision and commitment.
How to Plan a Sustainable Event takes you step-by-step through the planning process, addressing issues such as
- Choosing a site,
- Publicity and Registration,
- Event Materials,
- Food Service,
- Logistics, and more.
This publication is free and may be printed on legal size (14"x8.5") paper. Adobe® Acrobat® Reader is required to view the brochure; this is a free program and can be downloaded at adobe.com.
Download the PDF file now (53kb).
Additional Sustainable Event Resources
- Oceans Blue Foundation — BlueGreen Meetings: www.bluegreenmeetings.org
- World Resources Institute — Green Conference: www.wri.org/wrisummit/2003_greenconference.html
Event Site and Lodging
- Coalition for Environmentally Responsible Economies (CERES) — Green Hotel Initiative: www.ceres.org/hotel
- Green Hotels Association: www.greenhotels.com
- International Hotels Environmental Initiative: www.ihei.org
- Hotel Benchmarking Tool: www.benchmarkhotel.com
- Co-op America Business Network — "Greening Your Purchasing": www.coopamerica.org/business/Bgreenng.HTM
- Forest Ethics — Green Purchasing: www.forestethics.org/purchasing/paper-copy.html
- Where Does Your Food Come From?: www.foodroutes.org
- Organic food — "What is Organic?": www.organic-ingredients.com/organic.html
- Oregon Department of Environmental Quality — "Waste Reduction Tips for a Green Conference or Event": www.deq.state.or.us/wmc/solwaste/cwrc/wrstrategy/grevent.html